SWEET POTATO NACHOS
gluten free; vegetarian(maybe)
I have not posted a recipe in quite a while and these are simply too yummy to not share. Thanks Delicious Living for the inspiration. I even included some meat as an option because I know I never post meat stuff. It is of course totally optional as is the yogurt topping. As the fourth of July approaches and you are looking for an “All-American” dish to serve at your party (yes I am giggling at the irony of nachos being all american but really they are) but want to keep it real, whole and healthy then this is the perfect recipe.
Sweet potatoes are a great source for vitamin A, potassium and fiber. Black beans provide protein and fiber, as well as key nutrients such as zinc and folate. For extra protein, add ½ pound fully cooked, 100-percent-grass-fed ground beef.
- ½ teaspoon salt – see side bar about using salt*
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 pound sweet potatoes (peeled and sliced lengthwise ¼-inch thick – about 3 small))
- ½ red onion (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 medium tomato (diced)
- ¾ cup puréed lower-sodium mild or medium salsa (super easy to make your own as well)
- 1 cup organic shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 avocado (diced)
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a small bowl, combine salt, cumin and chili powder; set aside.
- Coat a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray. Place sweet potato rounds and onion, intermixed, on prepared baking sheet; spray with nonstick spray and sprinkle with seasoning mixture. *If using meat, add your cooked beef here as well. Bake for 18–20 minutes or until potatoes are just soft. Remove from oven.
- Toss beans and diced tomato with salsa. Top sweet potatoes with roasted onions, bean-salsa mixture and cheese. Bake an additional 4–6 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from oven, top with avocado and yogurt, and serve.
PER SERVING (¼ of recipe): 412 cal, 13g fat (6g mono, 1g poly, 6g sat), 28mg chol, 628mg sodium, 54g carb (12g fiber, 15g sugars), 16g protein
Pair with some grilled watermelon topped with Trader Joe’s chili lime salt! or go to http://www.meatwave.com/blog/spicy-grilled-watermelon-recipe for a delicious grilled watermelon recipe. Toss in some cantaloupe too!